Created in 1959, the Douglas Institute Auxiliary is the only auxiliary in Canada to be associated with a University Institute in Mental Health.
For almost half a century, the Auxiliary has raised funds in order to provide for the special needs of patients, thereby enhancing their quality of life.
Its goal is to continue to help people with mental illness lead dignified and satisfying lives for many years to come.
Services and activities
- Responding to specific needs of internal and external patients and group home residents
- Contributing funds towards an annual summer camp for patients
- Supporting the Sponsored Patients Program, designed for patients in need of companionship
- Running the Corner Store, which provides quality new or used clothing for patients at very reasonable prices
- Preparing over 1,400 Christmas gifts annually for patients
- Financing the Ward Outing Fund, where patients benefit from outings like BBQs, trips to sugar shacks etc.
How Can You Help?
By becoming an Auxiliary member: (Membership: 15 $. All additional contributions are appreciated.) Members may also sit as part of the Auxiliary Board of Directors, which meets each spring.
To become a member, contact us.
Whether or not you are a member, you may:
- Sponsor a patient
- Volunteer some of your time in the following activities:
- Corner Store (sorting clothes, serving, cash)
- Preparing Christmas gifts for patients: over 1,400 gift packets are made each fall
- Participate in fundraising activities
- Make a donation of clothes or money
Make a donation
The Auxiliary operates a clothing store (The Corner Store) for Douglas patients. Donations of new or used clothing (especially large sizes) should be placed in the marked container at the Perry Pavilion entrance.
Your donations help us improve patient quality of life.
To make a donation
- Address your cheque to Douglas Institute Auxiliary/Volunteers
- Send your cheque to:
Perry Pavilion, E-1182
6875, LaSalle Boulevard
Montreal, (Quebec) H4H 1R3