The Douglas Institute is part of the Centre intégré universitaire de santé et de services sociaux (CIUSSS) de l'Ouest-de-l'Île-de-Montréal.
Other insatllations in the Centre intégré universitaire de santé et de services sociaux (CIUSSS) de l'Ouest-de-l'Île-de-Montréal :
- West Island Health and Social Services Centre (HSSC)
- Centre de santé et de services sociaux de Dorval-Lachine-LaSalle
- West Montreal Readaptation Centre (WMRC)
- Batshaw Youth and Family Centres
And regroup three other installations :
- Douglas Mental Health University Institute
- Grace Dart Extended Care Centre
- St-Mary's Hospital Center
The Douglas Institute mission
In collaboration with people living with mental health problem, their family and the community, the mission of the Douglas Institute is to:
- Offer cutting-edge care and services
- Advance and share knowledge in mental health
The Douglas Institute in numbers
Our vision: The power to recover
Ourvision covers the aspects needed for a person living with a mental health problem to realistically aspire to live a fulfilling and satisfying life. Various facets make recovery possible:
- Integration of people living with mental health problems and their friends and families into the care process
- Global health
- Partnership and complementarity
- Population needs
- Access to and fluidity of services
- Service quality and patient safety
- Best practices
- Knowledge exchange and application
Our values: excellence and innovation
Committed to the recovery of people living with mental health problems, the Douglas values excellence, innovation and human potential based on commitment and collaboration.
Excellence: Have the courage to apply best practices with rigour, to question and assess ourselves, to integrate research into all of our activities, and to be a learning organization.
- Innovation: Provide a stimulating and dynamic environment, where new knowledge is developed in order to better understand, share, care, and give hope.
- Human potential: value potential and believe in people’s ability to reach new heights. Build on existing knowledge through initiatives supported by sharing and partnering.
- Commitment: Carry out our mission to improve the quality of life of people living with mental health problems.
- Collaboration: Ensure that patients play an active role in the decisions pertaining to their care, and work with the interdisciplinary team towards their recovery. Develop and strengthen internal, community, academic, scientific, and international partnerships to make our vision a reality.
Our mandate: care, teach, evaluate, discover and share
The Douglas is a mental health university institute under the terms of An Act Respecting Health Services and social Services. As such, the Douglas must, in addition to carrying out the activities inherent to its mission, offer specialized and ultra-specialized services (Care), participate in education (Teach), evaluate health technologies (Evaluate) and
manage an accredited research centre (Discover and Share).
Accreditation Canada has awarded the Institution unconditional accreditation until 2020. Consult the report (in French).
The Douglas Institute was also awarded with Milieu Novateur certification which recognizes the culture of innovation in Quebec health care organizations.
The Douglas Institute is the first mental health institution in the province to be granted Healthy Enterprise certification by the Bureau de normalisation du Québec (BNQ). This certification attests to the Douglas Institute's commitment towards the overall health of its employees.
On November 2012, the Douglas was awarded a level 2 BOMA BESt accreditation. This accreditation certifies that the Douglas applies best practices in terms of energy, water consumption, waste volume reduction, greenhouse gas emissions, indoor environment and environmental management system.